This month we asked some ladies what they do to stay creative. We're definitely adopting some of these, and we hope you do too!
C A Y L E E
- I drink coffee with a straw in it. I'm not sure why, but it works.
- I find new music, or just music I haven't heard before. Right now I'm on a KAYTRANADA - You're the One kick.
- I make lists. Maybe it's the Capricorn in me, but lists keep me creative. If I'm trying to write a poem and I have writer's block, I'll bullet point things that are inspiring me. My current list has bruises, floral prints, and Harry Potter on it.
- I stay active. Some of my most creative moments come after I do a run.
- I surround myself with other creatives. People inspire me. They are really freaking cool. Go to open mic nights and plays. It always helps to go see artists at work.
N A T A L I E
- I love instrumental music, particularly film and TV scores. There's a playlist that Stephen Thompson from NPR compiled called Songs For Editing. It's my go-to if I need to do some writing, or if I'm just laying around trying to clear my head to make room for ideas.
- I hate when I have to commute for work, but I do like driving. Sometimes inspiration will strike if I take an aimless drive at night. I know it's not the most cost efficient thing to do, but it helps.
- I look around. I'm surrounded by the most creative people; artists, photographers, writers, thinkers. It helps to see the world through someone else's eye or mind or lens.
- I watch TV. You might think that it would just be a distraction, but there are some shows that are such beautiful pieces of art. Rectify in particular always gets me thinking, sometimes I start writing after watching a few episodes.
- I love a good To-Do list. My Notes app is probably the most used on my phone. I love the new feature that lets you invite people to work on notes with you. I am not a group project person, but sometimes collaboration leads to great things.
L I N D S A Y
- Creating new playlists on Spotify.
- Daily journal entries.
- Making to-do lists.
- A glass of wine.
- Spending time with my talented artistic friends.